I’ve recently had a few of my students’ parents ask me about the music equipment that their child should have and so I decided to answer it here. I think it’s also apt at this point to mention the importance of storing musical instruments and accessories correctly and safely to avoid any damage. Parents, take note, that having a storage cabinet designed to fit whatever instrument your child plays should be on your list. Especially if you have a child who plays several instruments, or children who each play a different instrument, think about some design ideas like those from this site that could help you help your kids handle their musical instruments in the right way. With that aspect taken care of, let’s move onto music case essentials.
While this varies slightly from instrument to instrument, there are a few essentials that every up and coming musician should keep with them in their case at all times.
1. Cleaning cloth // This doesn’t have to be anything fancy. It could be anything from a microfiber cloth to a special cleaning glove or an old cut up t-shirt. This is the one that I use.
2. Tuner // With fresh batteries!
3. Metronome // Again, with fresh batteries! On Amazon you can find an affordable metronome that is also a tuner. I use this one.
4. For woodwinds // non-stick powder or sheets, cork grease, extra reeds, a neck strap
For brass // valve oil and slide oil
For bassists or guitarists // extra strings and picks (if you use them)
5. Music // I recommend a good method book at the very least. Your school teacher can usually recommend a good one.
6. A way to listen to your music (an mp3 player, computer or cd player)
7. Your instrument (and that doesn’t have to be something overly expensive) // Don’t forget to bring any part of it to your lessons or your classes. I’ve had saxophone students do silly things like forget their neck or mouthpiece. Also double check to make sure everything is in your case!
8. A practice journal // This can be any notebook that will hold together well enough to be carried around back and forth from your house to your lessons. I just use a composition notebook.
If you have any questions, please feel free to leave me a note in the comments.