Earlier we mentioned content marketing in an article on building fan loyalty, and in that article, we offered a few ideas of valuable content to offer fans. The article received a ton of response and so we thought we’d put a list of content marketing ideas for musicians together for you. One of the most popular methods that were commented on was the use of video. After all, consumers want to hear was a musician creates so video seems like a perfect answer! Not to mention, video doesn’t have to be just used to display songs. It can be used to create a team member profile video so that consumers can really get to know the artist they’re listening to and it could also be used to show an artist’s thought process and creative process when it comes to actually making music. Once you have a good amount of content on your social media platforms, you can begin to think about using a service such as Growthoid to expand your outreach. Video is something to seriously consider in order to connect with an audience, and you don’t even need to spend money to get fancy software! Even professionals use the free (yes, FREE) DaVinci Resolve 17 Studio download to edit, among other things, music videos, and you can even work in collaboration with people in DaVinci. Additionally, taking the assistance of specialist digital marketing platforms could help tremendously since these companies are adept at strategizing content to meet your needs. Groups like Timmerman (distinguishable through their “We Are TG” slogan) could help you attract new audience and retain the old ones, irrespective of your niche or reach.
Anyways, without further ado, let us talk about the 33 content marketing ideas.
1. A behind the scenes look of your life as an artist
2. Free content for those on your mailing list (a song, a lyric e-book, etc.)
3. Behind the scenes photos
4. A tour diary (video or text)
5. Song lyrics
6. DIY ideas for musicians or fans
7. If you have other hobbies you could share them (if you like cooking, you can post recipes)
8. Music lessons – give fans lessons on your instrument or in songwriting
9. A Google Hangout chat or concert, etc.
10. A digital version of your album’s liner notes
11. Music videos
12. Filmed recording sessions
13. Photos from shows
14. Articles or podcasts on the inspiration behind your songs
15. Have a fan interview you
16. Or interview a fan
17. Talk about your music equipment or instruments and why you use it
18. Respond to someone else’s blog post or a news article
19. “Did you know” – share a fact about yourself or your band
20. Announce milestones such as 1000 likes on Facebook or Twitter
21. Share your goals for the coming year
22. Write an album or concert review for another band in your local community
23. Create a quiz or survey for your fans to complete
24. Create an award for a contest that gets your fans involved on your site or social networks
25. Answer fan questions
26. A day in the life – write a blog post or create a photo gallery of a day in your life (example)
27. Link roundup – create a post with links relevant to your band, your genre or something else you think your fans might enjoy
28. Launch a project with a partner (think graphic designer, videographer, photographer, another musician)
29. Create a press release
30. Write a new bio
31. Get fans to take photos of your albums or band t-shirts “in the wild” and create a blog post with your favorite submissions
32. Post photos of your fans at shows (take a photo from the stage of the audience)
33. Fan reviews or testimonials
What are some content marketing ideas you’ve implemented?
Want to learn more about the music business? Check out our popular FREE eBook – Advice for Young Musicians: From Established Music Professionals.